Friday, July 29, 2011

Peer Potter Pressure...

It has been a bit since my last blog post... I think of it as journaling, and I really love writing, but as with everything else who has the time? I wish it were different, but I am like ALL other mammas, BUSY! Please don't be offended by my post. It is a question I am working through and would treasure any peer advice!




I am working through a dilemma right now...Peer "Society" Pressure is plaguing me and I am bothered. I know that we are responsible parents and will make the right decision. Ever since Harry Potter came out years ago we decided that we would not read, watch or entertain it in any form. Something deep down, as Christians I suppose, has unsettled us. Feeling that something that glorifies wizardry and darkness as a form of entertainment is not a good thing to fill our minds with. And this has gripped the world! Albeit, most claim it is the classic story of good and evil, but to me there is no good in it. Just some "GOOD" wizard kids fighting an even darker evil with magic. I have the same feeling about the show "Wizards of Waverly Place".

The most prominent advice that I hear from friends and acquaintances when I ask them if they allow their kids to watch Harry Potter is that they want their kids to be aware of the things of the world and not be ignorant. Also... that the movie is GREAT and not all that bad.


The Bible tells us to protect our minds and the minds of our children and allowing movies such as this, does not seem to follow that advice. I don't support things that are not glorifying to God and especially when it comes to Hollywood and its grip on society. Promoting magic and black arts, a real threat in this world, in the name of entertainment unsettles me and they do not to me depict "real life". I can teach them these things and not subject their minds to such Hollywood Drivel.

My kids are sheltered, I will give that, but they are not ignorant. I do teach them the horrors of the world and help them to understand man's sinful nature. Do they have to watch something like Harry Potter to fully grasp these things and understand the world better? Do I need Hollywood to give my kids a proper true picture of the world? Are movies like these true examples of what is in the world and something that my kids will have to fight against in the future? Will they fight tremendous evil chess pieces and need shiny red stones to save the world?

Chris and I did watch part of the first movie the other day when it was on TV as a preview and found nothing good about what we were watching. I do not choose to watch horror movies and the grotesque man hosting the daemon man on the back of his head was kind of horrible. These are questions I am pondering in my heart right now. As the dvd's (a recent garage sale find by my dad) sit on the shelf calling out to my kids, "watch me" and as I seem to be in the minority of my friends not having let them watch these movies yet, I can't help to feel the pressure of that. I will give it some more time in Prayer :0) and hopefully do what is God's will in our lives.













No comments:

Post a Comment