Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Independence Day

I have always been an overprotective mom, there is no secret about that. I don't let my kids out of my sight, we are homebodies, and going out and doing things is foreign to us. I even still set my alarm clock halfway through the night to check on the baby (I mean umm... 2 year old).

While I have many other reasons...it is primarily why I homeschool too. Now do not get me wrong, we have a very active healthy life, full of fun, field trips and exciting every day adventures.

My husband and I have been away twice since we had kids... and that was before baby. This weekend I am taking a big step. I am going away for a night to a homeschool conference with a friend. I will be travelling a whole hour and a half outside of my comfort zone. I am excited to get away and I think it will be good for the kiddos too.

Sometimes I feel Guilty about being such a mom, but we have chosen this lifestyle because I love my kids and I want to spend as much time with them as I can in this short life. Given the unexpected catastrophe that has turned life upside down for so many far across the world, I want my kids to know that spending my time with them was one important gift that I could give to them while I could. I want them to know that I tried to spend my days, teaching and loving and trying to be a Godly example.

Hopefully this weekend will be a time of learning how to do my job better... and maybe I will have some fun too! Hopefully the kids will feel a little independence for a day or two and not forget about me in all the fun they will have with Grandma and Grandpa!

1 comment:

  1. I thought I was the most overprotective Mom in parenting history. I always wanted to know where they were and what they were doing. I was most careful with my first. My husband and I were married 14 years before we had a long overdue night away from our children. At that point we realized some adjustments needed to be made. A marriage counselor recommended quarterly nights away, but we could barely manage to swing two a year. Sounds like your kids will be in good hands so you go and enjoy yourself and get refreshed and recharged. Hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete